Tuesday, February 3, 2009

My Busy January



Hello Friends! January was a busy month to be a baby. I'm 2 months old now, and I like to do big girl things like lay on my blanket (made for me by Mom's friend Brie) and work out my arms and my legs. I also like to talk. I hadn't really mastered reaching for things until they stuck a tube up my nose - but now I can reach for that any split second my hands are uncovered... however, I'm getting ahead of myself.


Back in early January, while I was still in Connecticut, I met my friend Lila. Here I am sizing her up. As you can see, at first I wasn't sure about her, but as we chatted, I discovered that she has real good taste in clothes (we have a lot of the same outfits) so we're destined to be friends for life. Now we just need our moms to give us a ride to the mall...

Okay, okay, let's slow down a bit. We can be friends -absolutely - but does she know I can't hold my head up on my own yet?




That Lila couldn't get enough of me. Not that I blame her.




So then we got back to Virginia and the doctors found out that I'd been dieting. I think they were just jealous because they all gained weight over the holidays and I lost weight. But, after a week of feeding me the chocolate ganache of baby food (super high calorie formula) they sent me off to the hospital for a tube in my nose through which they force me to eat. Again, they're bitter because I'm tall, skinny and beautiful. I told those nurses that gender neutral just doesn't do anything for complexion, but no matter how much I screamed (I even tried throwing up on myself in order to force a costume change) they never brought me a pink gown.


I went to the hospital on January 20th. While I was there I had a roommate - a baby who was 1 - well - I think. That baby and her mom only spoke Spanish. My parents took years of French. They had the remote control, so Mom and I had to watch Barack Obama's inaugural ball with poor coverage in between telenuovos "en espanol". Luckily the hospital had free wireless internet - and Mom and I caught up on all the back episodes of The Bachelor: Season 13 and other such smut. I think that Bachelor Jason is just dreamy.




Not only is it not pink, it also doesn't flatter my figure. Dad never would have been able to resist this pouty face. After 3 days in this outfit I was thrilled that Mom and Dad finally figured out how to use this tube and I put on some flattering pink clothes and went home!


Check out the new medical stuff in my room. See the stethoscope on the IV stand?




The upside to having this thing up my nose and down my throat is that now I can multi-task. Here I am sleeping and eating at the same time.


This month I've been working really hard at sucking my thumb. I just can't seem to get it. However, while I was up there, I found my feeding tube. I yanked that thing out so fast - and I was sitting in Mom's lap! You should have seen her jaw drop. The joke was on me, though, when she shoved a new one back up there.


"Now how do I get that thumb thing into my mouth...?"

I'm not thrilled about the idea of all this food being shoved down my throat (or should I say, shoved down my nose?) into my tiny tummy. I've been doing a lot of vomiting. A lot. The up side of that is I wear 3 outfits a day - (and Mom usually has to wear 2 because I have good aim). Recently the doctors suggested that Mom and Dad build up my crib mattress until it was at a 45 degree angle. Pretty fancy, huh? Next I plan to ask for one of those sleep number beds.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh Abby, you have such a way with words! You take after your Mommy and Grandpa!!! Lila was so happy to see that she made your blog - she can't wait to see you again - she has all sorts of tricks to teach you and she's mastered how to pack on the pounds which she will happily pass on. Hang in there girlfriend, your on the right path eventhough we know it's been rough. We all are praying for you, especially John, he seems to know that you two have a lot in common! Love to Mom & Dad. Tell them to keep trusting in God and frequent VPC (we hear they have great food) as well as teaching, fellowship, worship and all that really important stuff! We'll write soon! XOXO Missy, Paul, Emma , Matthew, John & Lila Grace

The Pointed Pundit said...

When Abby is done with that elevating numbered mattress, I am willing to bid. Can't resist a bargain