Wednesday, April 29, 2009

"Solid" Foods

So right before my adorable outfit put an unexpected jinx on the Yankees - I turned 5 months old. And you know what that means? "Solid" food time! First up - rice cereal. I don't know what Mom and Dad are thinking! The stuff smells awful, it's a terrible texture. I feel like we had just really mastered the bottle thing - and now this throws a wrench in everything! (And yes, my bib does say, "If you think I'm cute you should see my dad." Don't look at me - I didn't buy it. Dad scanned it while mom went to the bathroom while they registered.

Here's the first flaw in the rice cereal plan: the spoon. Seriously? I want to meet the guy who invented this "spoon". He (she?) has a lot more work to do...


If you're going to make me eat this garbage, hurry up already. Let's get it over with!


I TOLD you that dog would start to listen to me when I started my solid foods! Don't drool on my head, Callie.



See, Callie, I told you - it smells gross! It tastes worse. But if you want it - go ahead. I'm watching my figure anyway. See, here's the funny thing. One of the very first days I had my rice cereal - before Callie realized what an active role she could now play in my daily feeding - mom left me here in my bouncy seat to go get a washcloth (hose) to clean me up. When she came back - Callie had it under control! I was half clean! Mom was horrified and hopes none of you tell on her for her lack of parental foresight... while Callie was in my face, I realized what a fun game it is to pull on her beard and her ears.




Pay no attention to the dog behind the tablecloth.
In other Abby news - I saw my pulmonologist last week. He thinks my lungs sound beautiful and he sent an order for my oxygen tanks to be picked up! They're coming tomorrow and my house will be medical equipment free! He doesn't need to see me again until July. I also saw the pediatrician - I weigh 12 pounds now (I finally made it onto the growth chart!) and he says if I keep gaining weight like this - maybe I'll only have to see him every other month from May on. Gosh, I'm good.
Next week starts green vegetables. The doctor says if mom can puree it, I can eat it. Callie and I are organizing which foods we want to see next.




7 comments:

Grandpa said...

Abby: try frosting on the rice cereal. It worked for your mother; it also performs wonders on the waistline. The doctors will be thrilled.

Baby John said...

Hi Abby - I see you think as much of rice cereal as I did. Tell your mom that pears are the ticket for babies. They taste great and keep things moving (if you know what I mean). I sure do hate having my face wiped off -- I'll have to look into this "Callie" thing you have going. Happy eating!

Luayne said...

Abby, I'm not as clever with words as your wonderful Mom and Dad are...but, please know I think you are a treasure, and I keep you and your family in my thoughts and prayers. I can't wait to meet you in person and give you a major hug. Luayne

Karin Bloss said...

I am a sucker for a cute baby/dog combo... the last picture is too precious for words! I'm glad everything is continuing to go so well! Hope to see you both and that big baby of yours soon!

Sarar said...

Glad to see the puppy can help! so happy to hear you are equipment free!! My kids always liked it mixed with fruit.. not plain...

Brie said...

I love that picture with Callie and Abby. I haven't seen two such guilty faces in a long time. That's a great "first solids" story. A hint from Caroline: Try to keep that food out of your nose. Those moms will go pretty far with a washcloth if you know what I mean! I can definitely commiserate with Baby John on the face washing thing.

Missy said...

John & I just read the blog and I quote John, "That is too funny!" Next time your up bring Callie over to our house - you wouldn't have to feed her for a week! So glad you can enjoy these fun milestones - great job Abby!

Love from all of us!